What is Xenical?
Xenical has been clinically proven to help you on your weight loss journey when used in conjunction with diet and exercise. It can help you achieve 50% more weight loss than you would get from dieting alone. For every 2lb you manage to lose through a healthy life style, Orlistat can boost your weight loss by another 1lb.
How does Xenical work?
Xenical, or Orlistat, in its generic form, works by reducing
the amount of fat absorbed from your diet; it is not an appetite suppressant.
When fat enters the body, it is broken down by enzymes called lipases, so that
the body can digest it. Xenical (Orlistat) attaches itself to the enzymes in
the body so that they cannot break down the fat, which stops about one third of
the fat from your meal from being absorbed, so that your body passes the fat
rather than storing it.
The undigested fat is then passed through your digestive
system with no unwanted effects on your heart rate or sleeping pattern.
Orlistat has been tested in hundreds of clinical studies and has proven to be
very safe, yet very efficient.
Xenical (Orlistat) should only be used by those who are
medically obese; those with a BMI of 30 or more or a BMI of 28 or more in those with other risk factors such as diabetes or hypertension.
How should I take Xenical?
- One 120mg capsule can be taken up to three times per day - just before, with a meal or up to an hour afterwards.
- Do not take more than three capsules a day
- Each capsule should be swallowed whole, with water.
- A multivitamin should be taken a couple of hours after taking Xenical, or at bedtime to ensure your body retains its necessary levels of vitamins A, D, E and K. Xenical can lower the absorption of these fat soluble vitamins.
- It should not be taken with a meal that does not contain any fat and if a meal is missed then Xenical should not be taken.
- You should see a reduction of around 5% of your body weight within the first twelve weeks; if you have not seen any results in this time, Xenical may not be the weight loss aid for you. Xenical should only be used until you reach a BMI of 28.
- Your results can be greatly enhanced by following a calorie controlled diet and taking regular exercise. It should be taken with a nutritionally balanced, low calorie diet that has no more than about 30% of calories from fat. Taking Xenical with any meal high in fat (more than 30% fat) may make the potential side effects worse.
What are the side effects?
The side effects are usually mild and don’t affect everybody, but could include:
For information, support and motivation visit www.nhs.uk/weightloss
Download the Patient Information Leaflet
Discount for NHS staff
If you send us a photo of your NHS photo ID to email@example.com
then we will send you a 10% discount code to enter at checkout.
Check out our handy tips for a successful weight loss journey
more conditions we can help with
There maybe be times when you want to delay your period
Antibiotics can effectively treat the infection